Blog

1/3/2026 5:53:34 PM

Restless Surf

Robert Kahler / Comment on this

Restless Surf

Oil on Canvas

36" x 36"

 

I prefer to paint on location, start to finish in one session.  However, that is not always possible.  These trips still provide inspiration for work done in the studio.  The twelve 6" x 6" charcoals below are studies for future paintings.  Some are real locations, others half memory of explorations along the cost from Maine to Cape Cod.   This oil painting started as an elaboration of the sketch in the top left

 

Coastal Impressions

Charcoal 18" x 24"

 

I have a notebook I keep handy where I make compositional sketches and make sporadic notes. For this notebook I use pen and ink, because it forces me to focus on only what is essential.  These sketches are purposely incomplete.   I want to leave enough unfinished to allow for creative choices in the completed painting, not simply copying something in a larger format or in a different media.   I record other possible subjects based on the original idea.

.

 

 

 

The next step involves sketching on the canvas (sometimes in paint, sometimes in charcoal or pencil).  Again not a complete sketch, just the broad outlines of the composition.  Sometimes I do this before staining the canvas, sometimes after.  In this case I sketched on the white canvas.  Next comes beginning to block in.

 

Beginning to block in the painting was the source of inspiration for the change in the composition.   The white of the canvas struck me as the waves breaking / receding from the rocks.  It was a much more dynamic composition than my original concept.  I then completed the block utilizing Burnt Sienna and then moved on to complete the painting making subtle changes along the way.

 

                                                    

 

#landscapepainting

#contemporarylandscape

#pleinairpainting

#americanlandscape

#fineartpainting

#artistsoninstagram

#seascape

#robertmkahler

#oilpainting

#workingmethods

 

Read More

9/13/2024 12:19:22 PM

Dandelion Farm

Robert Kahler / Comment on this

 

This farm is close by to where I live.  As with many subjects, this started with an on location watercolor.  It was a sundrenched day.  As I explored the area further I decided to a second painting incorporating nearby elements into the composition - Hence Dandelion Farm.  The patterns of the Dandelions on the hill were artistic license on my part,  leading the eye up to the farm.  The patterns of Dandelions existed throughout the area - just not as painted.

 

One source of enjoyment I get from painting, as in this case, is that it allows for taking elements that exist separately and combining them into a composition, that doesn't exist in nature - but that is still true to a specific time and place.  I enjoy doing simple compositional sketches which, at some paint, may or may not become finished paintings.  It keeps the minds eye sharp and is as enjoyable as painting - when I don't have the time to do it.

 

#acrylicpainting #artforsale #landscapepainting #maine #arttherapy #creativeliscence #robertkahlerlandscapepainting

Read More